Map Layout In Code


I was planning to add pipes/hoses to represent the path(s) for fuel, and thought it might be easier to create it in code, than by drawing it, but in the process fell upon this effect for switching from ship view to parts view.

It was pretty basic, where I took the ship, and pointed the camera directly over head, and switched it to orthographic (not-perspective). Then I put a quad over it with a semi-transparent material to dim it down. Finally, I started adding the parts, so I could start mapping the blueprints out.


At some point while experimenting with Pipes, I was a little worried that my angled view was off, so I slid the ship up, to make sure it still aligned, and witnessed this effect, of the parts kind of appearing from the top of the ship, while the ship moves out of view.

After a bit more tweaking, and then a simple Lerp script, I had the ship moving cleanly in and out of the parts. Here you can see it in motion from another angle.



This allows me to utilize the same art as the ship types, and have the parts appear.  I had originally planned on creating 2D art to handle the parts view, but now, I can use the same parts I used to build the ship.  

THIS IS NOT FINAL ART

I added to things that look like engines and fuel tanks, but that selection is from the ship construction models, and I had not planned on a "parts" catalog.  This will be another art consideration.  For now, at least, using the existing content appears to work fine, and acquiring new art will remain an minor concern.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C# Parser and Code View

A Momentary Lapse of Passion

How to Setup a Multi-Scene Unity Project for Startup